The best word to describe the lower elementary curriculum is “understanding.” All subjects—math, science, history, biology, art, music, language, Spanish, and geography—are taught to promote an understanding of the principles and processes rather than rote memorization. In addition, the children learn time management and to be responsible for their learning. Daily peace lessons teach cooperation, conflict resolution, and respect and understanding of other people.
Lower Elementary Profile
- Mixed age classrooms for children in grades 1–3
- Interdisciplinary curriculum stresses connections between different study areas
- Classroom environment meets both the social and academic needs of the child
- Social skills are taught and practiced
- Group learning encourages individual contributions, listening, and the ability to compromise